How’s your day been? - A Typical Day

Time expressions

now

now; today; at the moment

The future - tomorrow, next week

tomorrow; the day after tomorrow;

next week; next month; next year; next Friday; next spring; next autumn;

in a day or two; in a week; in a year; in five years;

a week from now; a year from now; five years from now

soon;

yesterday, two days ago, last week

yesterday; the day before yesterday; the other day;

last week; last month; last year; last Monday; last winter; last summer;

three years ago; a month ago; a week ago; an hour ago; ten minutes ago;

two days later; a week later; a year later; five years later;

at two o'clock, in the morning, for thirty minutes

in the morning; in the afternoon; in the evening;

at noon; at night; at dawn; at midnight; after midnight; tonight;

at eight o'clock; at eleven o'clock; at 9:15; at nine fifteen; at 10:30; at ten thirty; at 7:00 a.m. (at seven); at 10:00 p.m. (at ten]);

at nine in the morning; at three in the afternoon; at eight in the evening; at ten at night;

during the day; during the night; during the week; during the weekend;

for ten minutes; for half an hour; for an hour; for three hours; for a day or two; for six days; for a week; for two months; for a year; for fifteen years;

on Monday, in May, in winter

on Sunday; on Friday; on Saturday; on Mondays; on weekdays; on weekends;

in August; in January; in winter; in spring; in summer; in autumn / in the fall;

Dates

on July fifth, on the fifth of July, on July 5th, on July 5 (on July fifth / on the fifth of July);

in 1917 (in nineteen seventeen); in 1980 (in nineteen eighty); in 1995 (in nineteen ninety-five);

in 1906 (in nineteen oh-six); in 1900 (in the year nineteen hundred / in nineteen hundred);

in 2007 (in two thousand seven / in two thousand and seven); in 2000 (in the year two thousand);

in 2010 (in twenty ten / in two thousand ten / in two thousand and ten); in 2015 (in twenty fifteen / in two thousand fifteen);

Today is the third of November. Today is May 6, 2011. (May sixth, twenty eleven / the sixth of May, two thousand eleven)

He was born on January 1, 2004. (on January first, two thousand four / on the first of January, two thousand and four)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What’s your typical day? What does your typical week look like?

 

Hello! My name is Lisa. I live in London with my family but I was born in Spain.

My typical day is very busy. Every morning I wake up at 6:30. After getting up, I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a quick shower. Then I get dressed, comb my hair and do my makeup. I have breakfast in the kitchen at 7:15. I usually have eggs, toasts and a cup of coffee.

I leave the house at around 8:30 and take the bus to school. The school is about half an hour away. I go to school 5 days a week. I often eat lunch at noon but sometimes I’m too busy for lunch! I usually finish and go home at 3:30. I love to relax and play games. But very often I need to do my homework.

At 7 o’clock I have dinner with my family. Afterwards we like to watch TV together. Then I brush my teeth, wash my face and go to bed at 11.

Every Thursday, I go to the gym.

Every other Saturday, I visit my aunt in Birmingham. Sunday is my day off!

On a fortnight, I play football.

At weekends, I often do my laundry and ironing, or go shopping with my friends!

 

 

usually, often, every week

usually; regularly; often; sometimes; rarely; seldom; never; every day; every other day; every month; twice a week; once a week; once in a while; on a fortnight

Morning

get up at seven o'clock; make the bed; do morning exercises; take a shower; take a bath; brush my teeth; wash my face; comb my hair; apply make-up; go to the bathroom; make breakfast; have tea; wash the dishes; get dressed; put on clothes; leave for work at eight

Work

go to work; drive to work; walk to work; go by bus; take the train;

not very far from home; it's a ten-minute drive from home; a twenty-minute walk from where I live; it takes me an hour to get to my workplace

work five days a week from 9 in the morning till 6 at night

Sleep

go to bed; go to bed at 11:00; set the alarm clock for 7:00 a.m.; go to sleep; fall asleep; have eight hours of sleep

 

1.    What is your typical day?

2.    What is your typical week?

3.    How is it different from your time in your home country?

 

 

Sample story: My day

My typical day is very busy. I work part time as an office clerk in a large publishing company, and I go to school after work. I am studying accounting at a business school.

I get up at seven o'clock in the morning. I do morning exercises for ten or fifteen minutes, and then I take a shower. When the weather is good, I sometimes run in the morning. On Sundays I work out in the gym or go to the swimming pool.

Then I go to the kitchen and have breakfast. I usually have a cheese sandwich and a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast. After breakfast I get dressed and leave for work.

I usually go to work by bus. My workplace is not very far from home. It takes me about twenty minutes to get there. Sometimes I walk.

I have a short break for lunch at noon. I often eat lunch in the cafe near the office. I usually have a bowl of mushroom soup, green salad, and a cup of tea with lemon. Sometimes I have lunch at my desk.

I finish work at three and go to college. First I go to the college library and study for about two hours. Then I meet with my classmates in the college cafeteria. We have tea or coffee with a piece of pie, talk, discuss things, tell jokes, and laugh a lot.

Classes start at 6:00 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. My classes are interesting, but accounting is a difficult subject, so I have to study hard.

When I get home after classes, I am usually very tired. I listen to quiet music, read a book, eat an apple or a banana, and go to bed.