Conditional sentences

 

Type 0: Always true: present simple + present simple

E.g. If you mix red and blue, you get purple.

  1. If water ______________ (freeze), it ______________ (turn) into ice.
  2. If you ______________ (stop) watering the plants, they __________ (die).
  3. If you ______________ (heat) water to 100 degrees Celsius, it ______________ (boil).

 

Type 1: Usually true: present simple + future (will)

E.g. If it rains tomorrow, I will stay home.

  1. If he ______________ (be) late, the teacher _____________________ (give) him a warning.
  2. If they ______________ (not study), they _____________________ (fail) the next exam.
  3. If she ______________ (need) help, her friends _____________________ (come) to her rescue.
  4. If you ______________ (call) me, I _____________________ (answer) your questions.

 

Type 2: hypothetical about the present or future: past simple + would or would be continuous

E.g. If you went to bed earlier last night, you would not feeling so tired now.

  1. If I ______________ (win) the lottery, I _____________________ (buy) a new car.
  2. If you ______________ (have) more time, what _____________________ (you/do)?
  3. If I ______________ (know) Italian, I _____________________ (work) in Italy.
  4. If I ______________ (am) invisible, I _____________________ (get) on planes and travel around the world.

 

Type 3: hypothetical past: past perfect (had) + would have

E.g. If I had accepted that job offer, I would have been working in Milan.

  1. If the Titanic ______________________ (not hit) the iceberg, it __________________________ (not sink) in the ocean.
  2. If she ____________________ (know) about the party, she _____________________ (go).
  3. If we ____________________ (not miss) the train, we _____________________ (arrive) on time.
  4. If my parents _____________________ (not met), I _______________________ (be) born.