1. What is the legal driving age in your country, and how does it compare to other countries?
  2. Are there any specific rules or customs related to driving in your culture that might be different from other places?
  3. How do you think the culture and attitudes towards driving vary around the world?
  4. Share a memorable or funny experience you've had while learning to drive or driving.
  5. What are the biggest challenges for new drivers in your country?
  6. What are some common traffic regulations in your country that drivers must follow?
  7. Are there any road safety concerns that are particularly relevant in your culture?
  8. How do you deal with road rage or aggressive drivers in your area?
  9. Have you ever driven in a foreign country? What was the experience like?
  10. Do you think autonomous (self-driving) cars will become popular in your country?
  11. What are some cultural differences in road etiquette or driving habits that you've noticed while traveling?
  12. Share your thoughts on distracted driving and the use of smartphones while driving.
  13. What are some common road signs and symbols in your country, and what do they mean?

 

Expressions

  1. Hit the road: To begin a journey or trip.
    • We need to hit the road early tomorrow to avoid traffic.
  2. Backseat driver: Someone who gives unwanted advice or criticism to the driver.
    • My mom is such a backseat driver; she's always telling me how to drive.
  1. Pull over: To move to the side of the road and stop the vehicle.
    • The police officer asked me to pull over for speeding.
  2. Speed up: To accelerate and drive faster.
    • You should speed up if you want to make it to the appointment on time.
  3. Drop off: To leave someone or something at a particular place, usually by car.
    • I'll drop you off at the airport on my way to work.
  4. Run out of gas: To completely use up all the fuel in the tank.
    • We ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, and it took hours for help to arrive.
  5. Get stuck in traffic: To be caught in a traffic jam or congestion.
    • I got stuck in traffic for an hour on my way to the concert.
  6. Drive someone up the wall: To annoy or irritate someone significantly.
    • Her constant complaints about my driving were driving me up the wall.

______________________

Conversation 1

Situation: Jane and Andrew have an accident on campus.

Jane: Hey, Andrew. I haven’t seen you for a while. What’s new?
Andrew: Hi, Jane. Yes, I’ve been busy with classes. 
Jane: Yes, me too. Are you busy right now?
Andrew: No, I’m free for half an hour. Do you want to get some coffee at the Cafe?
Jane: Sure. That sounds great!
Andrew: Okay. Let’s take my car. I need to hurry though because I have class soon.
Jane: Andrew, don’t you think you should slow down? You’re tailgating the car in front of you.
Andrew: Don’t worry. Nothing will happen. 
Jane: Stop! Oh, no! You hit his car! Pull over on the side of the road.
Andrew:  I should have listened to you! Now I’ll have to pay for the damages.
Professor Higgs: Andrew, you hit my car. There are scratches on the back and it is missing paint.
Andrew: I’m very sorry, Dr. Higgs. I should not have tailgated. I’ll pay for the damages.
Professor Higgs: Thank you. I hope you drive more safely in the future.
Andrew: I’ll be more careful next time. Please send me the bill for the repairs.
Professor Higgs: Okay. See you in class.
Andrew: See you.


Conversation 2

Situation: Lucy helps Patrick find the Science Building at the University.

Patrick: Excuse me, do you know where the Chemistry Building is?
Lucy: No. Are you a new student at the University?
Patrick: Yes. I just moved here from the U.S. I’m on my way to class, and I’m lost.
Lucy: Oh, no! I don’t know where that building is, but I can help you find it.
Patrick: Really? Thank you so much. My name is Patrick. What’s yours?
Lucy: I’m Lucy. It’s nice to meet you! My car is over there. I’ll drive.
Patrick: Thank you for offering to help me. This university has a huge campus.
Lucy: Yes. It’s very big. Do you want to put your books in the boot?
Patrick: I’m sorry. I don’t understand. What is the boot? 
Lucy: It’s the storage area in the back of a car.  What do you call it in America?
Patrick: We call it a trunk.
Lucy: Interesting. Okay. Let’s go.
Patrick: Sorry, but aren’t you in the wrong lane? 
Lucy: No, we drive in the left lane in England. 
Patrick: Really? I never noticed.
Lucy: I’m going to stop here and ask for directions. I’ll be right back.
Patrick: Sure.
Lucy: Okay. The man said we should drive straight and the Chemistry Building will be on our right.
Patrick: Look! There it is!
Lucy: Excellent. I hope you won’t be late for class.
Patrick: No. I’m right on time. Thanks for the ride, Lucy!
Lucy: No worries!


Exercise 1 – Fill in the Blanks

In this first ESL driving conversation exercise you need to read the following conversation and decide which option (A-D) should fill each of the 5 gaps. Once you have finished you can see your score and the correct answers by clicking the get score button.

Situation: Bob helps Tui practice for her driving test.

Tui: Hey, Bob. _________(1)_________?
Bob: Hello, Tui. I’m doing fine. How about you?
Tui: I’m doing well. I’m going to take my driving test tomorrow, and I need to practice.
Bob: I see. _________(2)_________?
Tui: Yes, that would be great! Where can I practice?
Bob: I think the university campus is a good place. There are lots of turns and places to practice parking. 
Tui: Yes, that’s a good idea. Let’s go.
Bob: Okay. Put your seat belt on and look at your rearview mirror before you back up. 
Tui: Sure. _________(3)_________?
Bob:  Turn the steering wheel to the left. Good job! Now, turn on your right blinker and turn right. 
Tui: Okay. _________(4)_________. I can use the parking lot ahead. 
Bob: Great. Slow down a little and pull in to a parking space.
Tui: Right. I’ll park beside the red convertible.
Bob: Perfect. You’re a great driver, Tui. You will do well on the driving test.
Tui: _________(5)_________.  I have to go to class now. See you later.
Bob: Okay. Bye.



ESL Driving Conversation


Choose the best option (A-D) in the following five questions to fill in the blanks in the driving conversation given above.


1) Which option is the best to fill in the first blank?

    A) Where are you
    B) How are you
    C) Where is your next class
    D) What time is it

2) Which option is the best to fill in the second blank?

    A) Would you like me to help you
    B) Who will help you
    C) When is your test
    D) What car will you drive

3) Which option is the best to fill in the third blank?

    A) Where should I go
    B) Should I stop
    C) Where can I park
    D) Should I turn the steering wheel left or right

4) Which option is the best to fill in the fourth blank?

    A) I’d like to practice parking now
    B) I’d like to practice backing up
    C) I’d like to go home now
    D) I’d like to take get something to drink

5) Which option is the best to fill in the fifth blank?

    A) Thanks for helping me practice
    B) Thanks for giving me my driving test
    C) Thanks for driving me to class
    D) Thanks for lending me your car

 

Seat belt / Tailgate / pull in/accident/ repairs/ pull over/ back up/ boot/ slow down

1. Please ___________at the side of the road.

2..Look at the rearview mirror before you ______________.

3.She was injured in a car __________.

4.I always keep a blanket and a toolkit in the ___________for emergencies.

5.My car is in the garage for __________.

6.I was ____________ last night when I was driving home, they wanted to breathalyse me. I thought I’d done something wrong, but it turns out they were just doing random tests.

7.I got rear-ended by this woman who had been ____________me all through town, I was so annoyed!

8. Make yourself comfortable put on your ______________and you are ready to go.