Useful phrases a shop assistant says

“Can I help you?”
“Are you looking for anything in particular?”
“Do you need any help at all?”
“We don’t have any of these left in stock.” ( = There is no more of something.)

Useful phrases a customer says

“I’m looking for …”
“I’d like to buy…”

Indicating a piece of clothing

“Do you have this in …”
– medium / large / small / extra large / XL
– blue / black / beige (other colours etc)

Talking about the price

Clothes shops have “sales” when some or all the clothes are discounted.

“Is this in the sales?”
“Is this on sale?”

“There’s a discount of 20% on this.”
“These jeans are discounted by 20%.”

“It’s a bargain.” (= the low price is a surprise)
“It’s cheap.” (= doesn’t cost much money)
“It’s expensive.” (= costs a lot of money.)

Trying something on

When you go clothes shopping, you probably want to try something on before you buy it so you know it’s the right size or that it looks good on you!

“I’d like to try this on please. Where are the changing rooms?”
“Can I try this on?”

Example shopping conversation

Can I try this on?
Sure. The changing rooms are over there…

… (later)

Any good?
No, not really. (It’s the wrong size / It doesn’t really suit me.)
Or, “Yes, I’ll take it.”

Paying

“Where I can pay?”
“The cash tills are over there.”

Other shopping vocabulary

to suit = to be in your style, or to compliment your body shape or skin / hair colour
“That dress really suits you!”

to fit = to be the right size
“These jeans don’t fit very well.”

Clothes can be…
… too big (size “Large” when you are size “Small”)
… too small (small size when you are large size)
… too tight (waist measurement 34 when you are waist 38)
… too loose (waist measurement 38 when you are waist 34)
… too long (jeans leg measurement 34 when your leg measurement is 32)
… too short (jeans leg measurement 32 when your leg measurement is 34)

to go well with / to match = to look good with your other clothes
“This jumper goes well with my trousers.”
“This colour jumper matches your new trousers.”

Here are some common phrasal verbs for shopping which you’ll need to know:

pay for something = buy something

look for something = want to find something

bring something back = return it to the shop

try something on = check if something fits

go with = when something looks good with another thing

take something in = make something smaller

take something up = make something shorter

think about = not decide immediately

cut back (on) = reduce

 

Exercises

1.When you can't find something in a shop, you can ask the shop assistant: ''Excuse me! I'm looking ____________(name of thing).''

 

2.You like something (clothes) but want to make sure it's the right size. You say: ''Can I try this / these _________________please?''

 

3.You want a new shirt for your jeans. You aren't sure if the shirt is the right colour for the jeans and you ask your friend: ''Does this shirt go ______________ my jeans?''

 

4.You're buying something for a friend, but you don't know if your friend will like it. You say: ''Can I bring it _________________ if it doesn't fit?''

 

5.The jeans you like are too long. The shop assistant says: ''You can take them _________________ .''

 

6.You like a shirt, but it's too big. You say: ''Do you think I can take this _______________ ?"

 

7.The sales assistant wants you to buy something and tells you to hurry, because the price will go ________________ soon.

 

8.You aren't sure if you should buy something, so you say to the sales assistant: ''I'll think ________________ it.''

 

9.You decide to buy something. You ask: ''Where can I pay ________________ it?''

 

10.You've spent all your money. You say to yourself, ''I have to cut _________________ on my spending!''